2020 is here! I hope y’all had a wonderful holiday season (whatever that means to you!) and are looking forward to the upcoming 2020 year.
As much as I’d like to not be into it, I love the transition from one year to the next. Clean calendar, new planners, and getting to think of all the little things I want to do. The last two weeks of the year are also a term break for me and I spent it with family, Daddy, watching a LOT of Game of Thrones, and even getting to teach a leather care class.
Word of the Year
My 2019 word was PROGRESS. I wanted to feel like I was moving forward instead of treading water. If you’re not familiar with the concept, choosing a word of the year (or phrase) is a way to create focus without setting hyper-specific goals. I like to find a WotY and then shape some goals around it.
My 2019 goals ranged from working on my bootblacking skills (always a work in progress!), to applying to a difficult-to-get-into writing workshop (wasn’t accepted but applying is a big deal for me), and the unstructured goal of just wanting to write more.
My word this year is PURPOSE.
The concept of purpose is something that I’ve struggled with for a long time, especially as my relationship with my mind and body in regards to working and making money has changed. Finding a purpose that isn’t connected to money-making has been extremely difficult for me.
So that’s the kind of thing I’m thinking about this year. What is purpose and what is my relationship with it? Within a dynamic? By myself? How does my perception of my capabilities play into my sense of purpose?
I split goals into two different categories. Main Goals are things I want to be able to cross-out by the end of the year. Side Goals are thoughts I have about things I want to do in general or things that might help lead me to complete something in the Main Goal or WotY concept.
- Read 20 books – something I try to do every year
- Be able to do 30 min of yoga – I have a difficult relationship with my body and deal with chronic pain. Yoga is one of my best current solutions
- Slave journal every 1-2 weeks – I want to do more introspection about myself within my dynamic. I want to shape my service more and I think journaling will help
- Cook 1 new recipe a week – I own a bajillion cookbooks and it’s past time to put them to good use
- Spend less time on social media and more time doing crafts or hobbies
- Read kink books geared towards power exchange/self-reflection
- Play with makeup and clothing again
All of these things fluctuate and grow. I’m sure I’ll add plenty of Side Things through the rest of the year. I’ve got some other things I want to do, in particular things for Queer Courtesan, but I have also learned that I can’t show all of my goals to everyone. Finished products are my happy place so I hope y’all are looking forward to seeing where this blog goes!
How about y’all? Do you pick a word or theme of the year? Set goals or resolutions? Don’t bother with any of it all?